Forward architecture.

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 14:57:48 +1300

Well, kick me down if this is a brainfart instead of a good idea.

While checking and re-working the use of HttpRequestMethod it occured to
me that anything startign with a pure ascii word would now be identified
as a valid METHOD_UNKNOWN. (nee. HttpRequest::sanityCheckStartLine)

Also, that what I have seen of during debugging attempts at
transparently passing P2P and IM traffic. That largely those protocols
start with a plain-ascii method not belonging to HTTP.

The idea that comes to me immediately is to make the forward handle a
dispatcher/manager where the currently compiled additional-modules
register themselves against various parameters (method, url-protocol,
etc) and the forwarder hands of the connection data to them after
checking these details. Defaulting to HTTP when unknown.

This would enable easily plugged in extras to squid-3.

Feedback?

Please use Squid 2.6STABLE17+ or 3.0STABLE1+