Re: integrating husni's ipv6 patch into squid-2

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 13:29:05 +0900

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> You mean like all those setups we are trying to convert off 2.5?
> Linux <2.6, MacOSX <10.2, Solaris <8, FreeBSD <6.0, NetBSD<2.0,
> OpenBSD<3.0 are almost all in that category or have large know problems
> with their v6 support.

Yeah, and those platforms can just stick to IPv4 for now until they
absolutely have to migrate.

Heck, I've just been handed a "please try to fix diskd, please!"
problem because a vendor is stuck on FreeBSD-4 for the next 12 months.

> Didn't even bother considering older unices in squid-3, since anything
> able to compile C++ templates is recent. Squid-2 being C has an older
> range of hardware to track.

Well, we can draw a line in the sand and say "... aand we support that."
I don't think we really have done that; and -thats- mostly an exercise
in getting later versions of GCC to run on the older OS.

The OS compatibility issues are well taken; esp. the "need to support
multiple listen ports" thing. I'm just thinking about the first step
to take in making the code in Squid-2 slightly readier for ipv6 in the
future, both so the current code is made ready and future code is
required to use it.

Full IPv6 support in Squid-2 may never be a possibility, but people are
going to ask about it soon enough.

Adrian