Re: integrating husni's ipv6 patch into squid-2

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 09:47:00 +0100

Hi,

At 05:11 05/02/2008, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 04, 2008, Guido Serassio wrote:
> >
> >> I don't like so much the addition of IPv6 to Squid-2 for two main
> >> reasons:
> >>
> >> - This could be a very dangerous thing for the Windows
> >> compatibility, see the impact of the IPv6 merge into Squid-3, even
> >> with the C++ help.
> >
> > Looking at it, XP and later has a sockaddr_storage of sorts:
> >
> > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms740504(VS.85).aspx
> >
> > Hm, the earliest appearance of this is Windows XP SDK; which means
> > either faking it (and having to provide local versions of all the
> > library functions that support it) or abstract it out enough so
> > a v4-only build only affects a small area of the codebase (ie,
> > somewhat what Amos has done in -3.)
>
>WinVista _almost_ supports the linux way of things. There are port-level
>options that are defaulted differently, but otherwise the app needs to be
>dual-stack capable.
>
>WinXP was faking it, you need to hold and open two of every listening port
>and hope for the best when opening client-facing ones, particularly
>re-connects to an old client (ie FTP, SSH, pconn, maybe others).
>
>Win2K has NO support so all the required generic libraries need to be
>emulated internally in squid. That had me and Guido spending several weeks
>of go-between locating and adapting code we could use in GPL squid.

And the work on Squid-3 is still not completed, today we are at the
step to build a Squid-3 IPv4 only on Windows, but for the full IPv6
support on Windows there is still a lot of work to do.

See this thread sor some reference:
http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-dev/200708/0075.html

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/