Re: EventDialer cbdataReference abuse

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 20:17:16 -0700

On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 14:42 +0100, Henrik Nordström wrote:

> The idea with cbdata is that when you are given a cbdata enabled object
> use cbdataReference on it to get a reference safe to be saved between
> call events.

Sorry, my fault.

I did not realize that cbdata API defines "cbdata reference" as
something other than the "object pointer". I think I can rewrite those
operations without violating the API. I think the code effectively does
the right thing under the hood, but that is not the reason to violate
the API.

I agree that all this will become irrelevant once cbdata API is updated
to use C++ mechanisms because accidental misuse like this one will be
nearly impossible and proper use will come "naturally". We should dig
out old notes on the subject and add cbdata/RefCounter work to Squid3
roadmap.

FWIW, AsyncCalls changes, like this little fix, should not be backported
to 3.0.

Thank you,

Alex.