Re: tcp proxy hackery

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:37:21 +1100

This reminds me, one of the things I was thinking heavily about a few
years ago was locality of reference in N-CPU situations. That is, making
sure we don't cause thrashing unnecessarily. For instance - given
chunking we can't really avoid seeing all the bytes for a MISS, so does
it matter if process all the request on one CPU, or part on one part on
another? Given NUMA it clearly does matter, but how many folk run
squid/want to run squid on a NUMA machines?

Or, should we make acl lookups come back to the same cpu, but do all the
acl lookups on one cpu, trading potential locking (a non-read-blocking
cache can allow result lookups cheaply) for running the same acl code
over extended sets of acls. (Not quite SIMD, but think about the problem
from that angle for a bit).

-Rob