Re: tcp proxy hackery

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 01:31:03 +0100

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 11:00 +0900, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> It'll also answer the question of "is it worth having a slab allocator in 2008".
> My gut feeling says yes, but only for very small allocations.

And my gut feeling is no, as there is better ways to manage memory which
stresses the allocator much much less.. for example everything about an
HTTP message should be in 1 or 2 memory blocks even if it's made of 200
different headers each with their own parsed representation.

> let me take a "hint" for the allocation size and provide it again on free() to
> bypass whatever pointer -> memory region mapping lookup it has to do.

Does it? Most mallocs I know about has details about the allocated
region just before the pointer (and optional red zone).