Re: Trying to start using bzr

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 20:43:15 +0200

sön 2008-03-30 klockan 17:10 +0200 skrev Guido Serassio:

> But after this, many things are not clear to me:
>
> - What are the branches currently available?

Any branches that existed in the squid-cache.org squid3 module is found
at

  /bzr/squid3/branches/BRANCHNAME

and the release tags under

  /bzr/squid3/tags/TAGNAME

using the same BRANCHNAME and TAGNAME as was used in CVS.

Your SQUID_NT_3_0 branch is

  /bzr/squid3/branches/SQUID_NT_3_0

But I have to ask Robert how we best continue the merge process on that
branch.. I suspect it would actually be best to recreate the branch as a
new bzr branch from trunk, if it's kept at all...

For now I recommend you to recreate the NT branch as a local private
branch in your own repository.

   bzr cbranch squid-3.0 squidnt-3.0

(see below for instructions on how to get squid-3.0)

Reminder: I do not want to see windows specific changes / sources in the
windows release. Any change should be upstream in the main tree before
release.

> I need to work on old
> SQUID-3_0 and SQUID_NT_3.0

> - I don't know at all the bzr architecture, so what is the bzr
> procedure equivalent to CVS checkout/update/commit ? I think that the
> main Squid 3 repository is not the better place to do some bzr
> experiment .....

The procedure is pretty much the same as before. To get a commiter
checkout of 3.0 use

bzr cbranch --lightweigth bzr+ssh://squid-cache.org/bzr/squid3/branches/SQUID_3_0 squid-3.0
cd squid-3.0
bzr bind bzr+ssh://squid-cache.org/bzr/squid3/branches/SQUID_3_0

the bind is because you are a committer, converts the local branch into
a checkout with a revision shadow in your local revision repository,
making commit/update work towards the main repository.

then update/commit as you did using CVS.

you can also do the same skipping having a local repository shadow by
using bzr checkout instead or cbranch --lightweigth, but I recommend
keeping a local shadow repository as it makes it easier and more
efficient to create local branches when needed.

Working with tracking branches is a little different than before, but
mostly to the better I think.