Re: Trying to start using bzr

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 16:48:21 +0200

Hi Henrik,

Finally I have found some time to continue my bootstrap with bzr.

At 20:43 31/03/2008, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

>Your SQUID_NT_3_0 branch is
>
> /bzr/squid3/branches/SQUID_NT_3_0
>
>But I have to ask Robert how we best continue the merge process on that
>branch.. I suspect it would actually be best to recreate the branch as a
>new bzr branch from trunk, if it's kept at all...
>
>For now I recommend you to recreate the NT branch as a local private
>branch in your own repository.
>
> bzr cbranch squid-3.0 squidnt-3.0

We should define this definitively.

There is a main reason for the existence of SQUID_NT_x_x branches on
squid-cache.org:
the unavailability of stable branches on devel.squid-cache.org.

Now, if I have understood correctly how bzr works, probably the
SQUID_NT_3_0 is no more needed.

My needs are:
- A Windows specific "development/stable" branch based on the STABLE
branch, so, now there is
SQUID_NT_3_0 based on SQUID_3_0, likely in the future will be
SQUID_NT_3_1 based on SQUID_3_1.
- This branch must be populated with the content of the current
SQUID_NT_3_0 branch.
- The branch must be public to allow someone to work on it.
- The branch content must be placed in a reliable location (backup,
availability, etc)

What is the better solution ?

>(see below for instructions on how to get squid-3.0)
>
>Reminder: I do not want to see windows specific changes / sources in the
>windows release. Any change should be upstream in the main tree before
>release.
>
> > I need to work on old
> > SQUID-3_0 and SQUID_NT_3.0

[cut]

>then update/commit as you did using CVS.

I was able to do a simple commit on trunk, but I still some doubt about:

- When using bzr commit, if the -m option is missing, the default
editor is called like CVS ? there is nothing about in the documentation
- bzr diff is equivalent to cvs diff -up ?
- It seems to me that the bzr process is very heavy compared to CVS:
checkout and commit time are very long.
- What is the bzr path syntax on Windows ?
- How run bzr on MinGW ? There is no info about on http://bazaar-vcs.org

Another question:

On the machines where I run build tests, usually I have a local
anoncvs copy of the tested CVS branch (usually HEAD or the stable branch).
Now what is the lighter way to have an updated read-only copy of a branch ?
On some of these machines bzr is not usable because the required
python version is not available or the machine is really too slow to
work with bzr.

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/