Re: Trying to start using bzr

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 18:44:42 +0200

Hi Henrik,

At 17:56 06/04/2008, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> > What is the better solution ?
>
>My vote is that you create a new private branch from 3.0 for fixing
>Windows specific issues, apply the latest NT patch there and select a
>suitable location to publish the tree at. Suggested hosts are
>
>- launchpad
>- squid-cache.org
>- any http/ftp/bzr server of your own choice which meets your
>reliability requirements

If I'm not wrong, the needed steps are listed in the "Merge another
branch into yours" section.
The "SOURCE_OF_FOO" branch must be already locally checked-out, right ?

> > - How run bzr on MinGW ? There is no info about on http://bazaar-vcs.org
>
>The Windows version should work fine from mingw.

It seems no.

>The primary requirement is a working Python installation. The all-in-one
>bzr windows installer is a bundle of both Python and bzr.

This the problem.
Phyton is build for standard Windows environment, while MSYS+MinGW
uses a simple emulated BASH environment, with different path names handling.

Probably a different bzr installation is needed, but I still cannot
find python binaries for MSYS+MinGW ....

> > Another question:
> >
> > On the machines where I run build tests, usually I have a local
> > anoncvs copy of the tested CVS branch (usually HEAD or the stable branch).
> > Now what is the lighter way to have an updated read-only copy of a branch ?
> > On some of these machines bzr is not usable because the required
> > python version is not availablet or the machine is really too slow to
> > work with bzr.
>
>One suggestion: Get a checkout somewhere, and rsync it over to the
>target. For trunk you also need to bootstrap the sources

So bootstrap before rsync is better ....

It will work over a NFS share ?

>Or run tests based on the nightly snapshots.
>

>Actually when thinking of it I think we should provide an rsync source
>for current Squid sources.. Done.
>
>rsync://squid-cache.org/source/squid-<version>
>where <version> is one of 3, 3.0, 2, 2.7, 2.6

The rsync repository is bootstrapped ?

The bootstrap of Squid on Tru64, Irix and others is not a so simple
question .... :-(

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/