Re: client_side and comm_close

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:51:25 +0200

sön 2008-04-20 klockan 00:38 -0600 skrev Alex Rousskov:

> This thread is (was) dedicated to the discussion whether _adjusting_
> v3.1 roadmap to add client-side cleanup is a good idea.

And I say no on that. The current code works kind of, and the small
problems we have can be patched up for 3.1.STABLE.

What is needed for the server component (client_side*) is a major
cleanup of the server code + store + how it interacts with forwarding.
It's a faily large change and beyond what we should aim for in 3.1. 3.2
is more likely, maybe 3.3. Quite likely it needs a complete rebuild of
the client_side* code (and rename to http_server), only reusing the
parts that makes sense. It's not really that difficult job that code
needs to do, but the way it's currently being done makes a big mess of
it.

client_side interactions with comm_close is just a tiny tiny part of
that, and looking into that before we have defined how comm_close really
should behave isn't meaningful imho.

There is already sufficient amount of large changes in 3.2. Lets try not
to make it a significantly bigger step in the evolution of Squid. Focus
for 3.1 should now be to prune out bugs and look into what we need to do
for 3.2.