Re: confoig.h squid.h design

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 23:36:43 +1200

Guido Serassio wrote:
> Hi Amos,
>
> Sorry, I missed your direct question ... :-(
>
> At 06:31 23/04/2008, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>
>> Guido:
>> I have seen the squid_mswin.h include currently in the 'OS-specific
>> macros' section.
>> Wrapping the code that include can be moved down at least to above the
>> types section (done). It also looks like it duplicates many of the
>> general
>> definitions made in squid_types.h. Can you confirm that it works if moved
>> after the squid_types.h include and tweaked?
>
> If I remember right, into squid_mswin.h there are only the needed type
> definition.
>
> And there are no duplicate definitions:
> inttypes.h and sys/bitypes.h are not available on Windows.
>
> I'm not sure about what happens moving it.

I think worst case might be some re-definition errors. But we don't want
those either. I'll trust you on that and do the move...

The structure of squid_types.h (unchanged by me) is
  - include every types* file known to man and autoconf
  - test for and define every individual type squid uses that may
sometimes not be defined by all the above.

Most of the types files are unique to a bunch of OS and not available
elsewhere. Windows is not unique here. The POSIX type definitions done
for windows fall into that definition. The 'sometimes' being on windows.

With squid_mswin.h following squid_types.h we should be able to
seamlessly push any typedefs and defines up into the basic squid_types.h
config without side effects.

> I think that before changing anything here, we should use the same type
> detection used in Squid2 configure, where the missing types are defined
> directly into autoconf.h.

Interesting prospect for the long term. Right now I'm only dealing with
.h and .cc. Makefiles and configure are further down the checklist.

One thing I am worried about there is with length of configure.in
already being quite cumbersome. Alex mentioned some sort of auto-tools
include method that may spread hope but I have not researched any of
that yet.