Re: Benchmarking Squid

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 22:58:40 +0800

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008, Alex Rousskov wrote:

> > Don't forget other key things which affect scalability, such as concurrent
> > connection count and memory usage.
>
> The number of active concurrent connections is just request rate
> multiplied by response time. The number of idle persistent connections
> can be a metric.

Think in terms of "large file transfers" rather than in terms of small
transfers over potentially persistent connections.

Request rate includes parsing overhead, forwarding overhead, etc.
Existing connections don't include parsing and forwarding overhead
(they're done!), but include overheads in passing data through various
layers, scheduling callbacks, the amount of memory being kept that
may or may not be used, etc.

So yes, the number of concurrent connections is request rate * response
time * fudge; but the amount of CPU used for request rate versus active
versus idle connections isn't quite as simple.

> I agree that reporting memory/CPU/disk/NIC usage would be useful.

Adrian