Re: relationship between squid and safesquid?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 13:10:41 +0200

On ons, 2008-05-07 at 11:11 +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:

> on further investigation, all of the howtoforge articles about safesquid
> referenced by this "Sean" person were all written by him, and a google
> search for his email address shows that his *entire* presence on the
> net consists of him making off-topic recommendations for safesquid in
> response to various questions. i think it's a pretty safe bet that he's
> a shill spamming for the safesquid company.

Most likey a marketing droid for SafeSquid.

We have seen this "Sean" trolling a bit on the squid-users mailinglist
as well, but not very often.

> 0. are you, the squid developers and copyright holders, happy with
> safesquid's use of squid's name and/or code, and/or their compliance
> with the licensing terms? if so, then i'll just drop the issue and shut
> up about it.

We are ofcourse not at all happy with their use of the name, and we told
them about this as soon as we learnt of their use of the name many years
ago. But they insist on using the name and it's not something we want to
go to court over.

> 1. what, if any, connection is there between squid and safesquid?

Nothing more than the Squid project requesting them to not use the name
Squid and them responding that their own lawers say it's fine for them
to use the name SafeSquid.

> 2. is safesquid derived from squid's source code? or does it
> just use squid?

SafeSquid is based on another open source software which was called
Middleman.

Well, still is, but the open development pretty much ceased the day the
lead developer of Middleman got hired by the company behind SafeSquid to
rework middleman for their needs..

> 5. safesquid also integrates with clamav and mysql, both also GPL - if
> they distribute them along with safesquid then GPLv2 clause 2 again
> requires them to license the whole work as GPL. anyone know if the
> clamav or mysql people are aware of safesquid's use of their software?

I have not discussed the topic with the Clam AntiVirus project or MySQL
AB.