Re: X-Vary-Options patch

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot_at_yahoo-inc.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 11:23:40 +1000

+1 to what H says. I'm definitely interested in this area, but want to
think through it a bit more.

We can get a certain amount of functionality without any extension;
e.g., canonicalising selecting headers to take care of whitespace and
case issues, and perhaps even ordering (this doesn't work for generic
headers, but where we know the semantics and ordering isn't
significant, it isn't a problem).

That doesn't take care of the qval problem, but it helps in the accept-
encoding case, which is the most common (I don't often see qvals on a-
e; anybody?). One of my concerns about X-Vary-Options (can we please
drop the 'X-'?) is that there are non-obvious corner cases; it forces
the origin server admin to think very carefully about all the
different variants that they're going to issue, and the request
headers that will match them. If we can get rid of the common cases by
canonicalisation, they will have less opportunity to mess things up.

Also, it's important to realise that at some point it's more
worthwhile to take an approach like TCN and describe the available
variants, rather than match against selecting headers.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham       mnot_at_yahoo-inc.com