Re: aio #2: why aren't we doing async writes?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 13:14:53 +0200

On ons, 2008-06-11 at 17:48 +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Subject says it all - open, read and unlink are async, but write and close aren't.
> Why is at least write not async?

Simply because when testing on Linux they very rarely block, with the fs
buffers absorbing them fully as long as you don't run too short on
memory.

But yes, when you reach the absolute limit of what the drives can
sustain the buffers will fill up and problems arise, but going async on
the writes don't really help even then as VM pressure will be too high..