Re: Squid 3 HEAD - compiler options

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:57:54 +1200 (NZST)

> Just for the sake of consistency and preference for better
> troubleshooting and testing, are there any CFLAGS that I should be using
> during configure and compile of Squid 3HEAD? I was using the same
> options I was using with 2.6, which were:
>
> CFLAGS="-DNUMTHREADS=65 -march=nocona -03 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer
> -funroll-loops -ffast-math -fno-exceptions"
>
> I pseudo blindly copied the CFLAGS from what was consistent between two
> different deployments of squid on two different institutions that I was
> not a part of. This platform is a Intel Core 2 Duo system running 64bit
> Fedora 9 or 64bit CentOS 5.1, 4 GB RAM, 250GB SATA storage.
>
> I want to make sure I present any testing/troubleshooting information in
> a manner that is best suited to helping the project members resolve
> problems.
>
> Nick

Well for remote debugging none would be good. In general a vanilla install
is easier to debug than patched or optimized ones, where the compiler may
ignore the odd build problem.

That said, Henrik apparently does have a few flags that are good for debug
but not for production systems.

You should only need to see CFLAGS if you need to build a specially
efficient or non-standard binary for your systems.

Amos