Re: bzr on Windows

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio_at_acmeconsulting.it>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 08:42:28 +0200

Hi Robert,

At 08.17 26/06/2008, Robert Collins wrote:
>On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 08:10 +0200, Guido Serassio wrote:
> > Hi Robert,
>

> > >There is and it works fine for many windows users. However some using
> > >problematic toolchains like Visual Studio have more needs than just
> > >checking out the code - they need file mangling. And that is very close
> > >to landing now - code is all working its just being tweaked during
> > >review.
> >
> > Robert, is not only a VisualStudio problem: currently if I add a file
> > from Windows, the wrong line ending will broke all other platforms.
> >
> > So (IMHO), bzr doesn't work on Windows and Canonical must stop to say
> > that bzr is running on Windows, it's only a marketing's lie.
>
>I really don't think its a lie - it works on windows, *just fine* for
>many users.
>
>It doesn't work for all users, thats true. It doesn't work for all users
>on unix either.

Robert, your words:
"- works well on windows and unix "
http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-dev/200712/0086.html

I have asked many times about bzr on Windows before the adoption, and
I have received many assurances from you. I was trusting in you.

But after the changeover I have discovered the problems, and I have
found this very disappointing:
I cannot believe that you don't knew these problems before, this
discussion started in 2005: http://bazaar-vcs.org/LineEndings

The reality is that Squid is the the FIRST multiplatform open source
project adopting bzr, and the result was that bzr adoption broke the
Squid Windows development, nothing else.

I'm suspecting that Canonical have pushed for bzr adoption in Squid
project, so they now can say "hey, there are big open source projects
like Squid using bzr as VCS".

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio_at_acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/