Re: cachemgr.cgi and squidclient tools

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 21:21:19 +1200

Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Why?

Well...

  - these two in particular are binaries independent of the squid code.
They share only some portability objects.

  - its bothersome to maintain two sets of duplicated code for an
indefinite period.

  - when I'm done with them now, the Squid-3 code is either identical
(excluding whitespace formatting and comments) to the Squid-2-HEAD code.
Or at least have all the bug fixes and improvements made in 2.6/2.7 to
date underneath their Squid-3 fixes and polish.

One of the project goals is to form a clear upgrade path from 2.x to
3.x. These two tools have in my view now achieved that clear upgrade
path, with full backwardly compatible code in the Squid-3 VCS.

So its time to consider their deprecation in the Squid-2 CVS before any
further changes get done.

I've given this some further thought since my initial hurried email and
I think it would be easy enough for us to bundle the code for them
separately as a squid-tools package which happens to be built from the
Squid-3 bzr if we need to.