Re: cachemgr.cgi and squidclient tools

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 21:19:52 +0200

On fre, 2008-07-04 at 00:20 +1200, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> I disagree on it being a reason to keep the old ones, the non-port bit
> is wont compile against -2 source. Which only means the compat source
> needs bundling with the tools, which is the case anyway.
> A tool built from the -3 repository is completely capable of
> communicating and using -2 regardless of the libraries its built against.

Yes, but it means the repositories packaging Squid-2 will drop the
tools, which is not at all what we want.

To acheive the effect you like to see the tools and the libraries they
depend on should be split out to a separate Squid-version independent
package, and downgraded to C to not bust the compiler requirements of
Squid-2 installation, and packaging adjusted to bundle the tools with
the Squid sources.

To me none of this is worth the effort it requires. The tools is such
tiny fraction of the Squid source, and in nearly all installations the
tools used is from the exact Squid version used.

Distributions distributing both Squid versions can select if they dist
one or both versions of the tools as well.

And the project overhead of keeping the two versions aligned in a
forward manner (meaning the Squid-3 version has all capabilities of the
Squid-2 version) is less than the effort already spent on this thread

> Yes. So why continue to maintain a small piece of 99% independent code
> simply because it's in the 'back' bundle?

Why worry about it? As you say it's a small piece. A very small piece in
fact. Even a tiny piece of code, arounc 1200 lines of code in total
(both tools together).

If you want to make life easier with the cross-version then downgrade
the Squid-3 tools to C and indented as such, allowing quick and easy
cross-merges. But the reality is that we do have as a project goal that
Squid-3 should completely replace Squid-2 over time, and the tools will
continue evolve together with the main source. And it's not likely the
Squid-2 versions will see any major changes, at least not unless Adrian
pokes at them in cacheboy and merges back to Squid, which will be no
different than today. (the tools dropped from Squid-2 probably means
Adrian won't get merged back any changes to them from cacheboy, unless a
Squid-3 developer pulls them)