Re: Announcing branch: cachemgr-refactoring

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 16:15:30 +0200

On fre, 2008-07-04 at 16:07 +0200, Kinkie wrote:
> > I think a good strategy for this is to get the agent mib registration
> > code automated from the mib definition, getting rid of the double
> > registration we have today (MIB + code).
>
> And use a preprocessor of some sort?

Yes.

The output needs to be

- SNMP MIB text definition, to be installed in SNMP data collectors.

- Code registering the MIB data sources with the correct OIDs and names.

> What I'd like to do is something a bit more ambitious than just
> finding yet another way to get the raw data out, but something which
> sits halfway between current SNMP and current cachemgr; in particular
> I'd like to be able to offer structured reports, whose rendering is
> left to outside tools, in a similar way to what cachemgr.cgi does now.

Sure. But first step is to get a structured data source which can be
extended and maintained.

When that's done it's time to look into reports and where it makes sense
to define these..