Re: crash upon reconfigure?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 22:17:50 +1200

Kinkie wrote:
> Sorry for the double-posting, I hit "send" by mistake.
>

> I am seeing consistent crashes in squid-3-trunk upon reconfigure.
>
> It complains that
>
> 2008/07/12 10:02:25| commBind: Cannot bind socket FD 14 to
> 0.0.0.0:3128: (98) Address already in use
> FATAL: Cannot open HTTP Port
>
> Might it be useful to insert some delay before reopening the http
> ports upon reconfigure?

This is bug 2351 by the sound of it. Are you able to trace the cause
precisely? The reconfigure sequence already has the entire
close+parse+restart sequence for a delay. Which can be a few seconds.

> Or even not closing it at all if it has not
> changed?

That would be ideal, but a fair bit of work for someone. It would mean
creating a better startup and reconfigure sequence.
We are partially there towards a config method that would allow it. Some
of the new components have their one XConfig objects.

It would need to parse squid.conf into a temporary object of each
component and have each module handle their own startup and change from
existing 'old' config to 'new' config objects only if needed in its
reconfigure/startup handler.

This would mean virtually 0-seconds reconfigure service delay on most
reconfigures. Also the startup/reconfigure could be merged into one code
sequence.

Thats what I've been holding up the back-sleeve of my head for a while
now. I may have time to mentor/audit someone doing it. All the best if
you want to give it a try.