Re: delay_access and rep_mime_type

From: Nicolás Velásquez O. <gnicolax_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 18:19:53 +0200

Hello there,

Thank you for the answer, I'm glad to hear that its going to be
implemented on Squid-2.HEAD, :).

Also, after some thinking about delay pools concept, I thought that it
would be interesting to have shared pools. Say that you have 12Mbps of
bandwidth, you create two pools one of 7Mbps for ogg, mkv, swf and flv
and a second one of 3Mbps for html and js, but then if no html or js
is downloaded the 3Mbps of the traffic would be wasted, the same thing
if no ogg, mkv, swf nor flv is downloaded. So if we could just create
one big shared pool of 10Mbps, and divide that pool in two, 30% for
the html and js pool and 70% for the ogg, mkv, swf and flv content.
Then, if no html or js is downloaded, then the other pool could take
over that 30% and drain all the juice of the Internet connection.

I say this because more and more, bandwidth demanding content is
growing on the Internet, and the delay pools can be a real and
effective way to SHAPE your internet traffic, at least for
HTTP/HTTPS/FTP, and it would be shaped on a very detailed fashion,
which in many cases can save a lot of money on bandwidth.

--
Nicolás Velásquez O.
Genève, Suisse