Re: [RFC] Anti-AsyncCalls

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 08:02:55 -0600

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 20:31 +1200, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> Following some detailed discussion around the AsyncCalls issues and why
> it blocks 3.1 release we have come to the point of withdrawing the
> current implementation.
>
> With one conditional; if during the reversal TMF can complete and
> satisfy the rest of the developers that the blocker issues have been
> completely fixed it may be aborted.

I was planning to restart this work this Wednesday. I do not think I can
satisfy all of the developers, but I can fix what needs to be fixed.

[ In the future, if "we" consider to do something drastic to the code I
am responsible for, please consider contacting me directly before any
decisions are made. ]

> My plan for this is to;
>
> tag HEAD for re-reversal, then branch a duplicate of the current
> 3-HEAD into launchpad for public preservation. This is to provide a
> fairly stable branch where AsyncCalls can be matured past its current
> problems before a re-merge is requested.
>
> Following that; the reversal of known AsyncCalls patches from HEAD.
>
> This to start on HEAD early September. Though initial testing will begin
> in private by me almost immediately.
>
> Followed by several weeks where 3-HEAD is to be tested for stability to
> locate any assumptions in code subsequent to AsyncCalls merge.
>
> When 3-HEAD is deemed stable, to make a 3.1 release with all other
> current features. Then strike out again down the RoadMap.

I hope the above will not be necessary because critical bugs will be
fixed before early September. Is September 10, 2008 an acceptable
deadline?

Thank you,

Alex.