Re: How to use IPv6 in preference to IPv4?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 20:04:46 +1200

Steve Snyder wrote:
> Hello.
>
> [I am not a subscriber to the dev list, so please CC me with any
>
> I am playing with a 3.HEAD-20080820 build of Squid, to use it's support
> for IPv6. It seems to be working well (maybe a little slow relative to
> v2.7S4, both on Linux) except for one irritation. Given a site with
> both A and AAAA records, Squid always opts for the IPv4 connection.
>
> It seems that a lot of predominantly-IPv6 sites also maintain an IPv4
> address, just so they can tell you to get on board with IPv6. For
> sites with only AAAA records, Squid does a great job of getting the
> content to me.
>
> Even the use of the square-bracket scheme (e.g.
> http://[www.kame.net]/ ) isn't enough to coax Squid into IPv6 land when
> a IPv4 address is also found by DNS look-up.
>
> How can I instruct Squid to prefer the IPv6 address over an IPv4
> address?

Should not be. I coded it specifically to prefer v6 if working.

Check that:
  - you do not have the 'balance_on_multiple_ip' option enabled in your
squid.conf (that badly screws up modern DNS smart balancing).

  - the IPv6 addresses are actually contactable, squid will prefer first
working IP. Only reverting back to fresh when the DNS TTL expires or all
IP have failed.

  - you don't have 'tcp_outgoing_address' prefering an IPv4 for any ipv6
traffic

If it still occurs can you point me at some of the problem sites?