Re: Architecture Overview

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 08:10:20 -0600

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 14:12 +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> IIRC, the "data pump" in Amos' design is a pipeline between two FDs,
> say, with whatever modules in between handling protocol related magic.
>
> In my design the "data pump" is what you get when you glue together
> two stream objects.

> The pump in both instances is bidirectional. Amos can flesh out more
> of his pump ideas, we differed a bit on how we abstracted it.

OK. At least now we now know that the two designs differ in this aspect.
It is still not clear to me why both of you are using the term
"pump" (especially a bidirectional one!) when describing what is,
apparently, a "pipe", but that should become clear once Amos moves from
blobs to descriptions and examples.

> > I think you are taking a big (and mostly unnecessary) risk: whatever
> > code you end up with may be too difficult to merge back with Squid code,
> > no matter what the merits of the new design are. It is essentially a
> > "lets rewrite Squid from scratch using these great libraries" project,
> > which is likely to meet a significant resistance. Of course, it might
> > happen that your future libraries are just better versions of future
> > Squid modules and then we can just use the best parts and avoid another
> > rewrite.
>
> .. which those at the meetup would've heard me saying is my ideal
> end-goal - I'd like to have enough "stuff" written that can be
> re-integrated back into the Squid-2 codebase piecemeal. Everything up
> to the initial HTTP client/server split should be easy to integrate
> back - I'm doing it right now in Cacheboy. The HTTP client/server
> message-exchange code would just be a seperate set of libraries which
> reuse the existing Squid core stuff. I'd use them in fleshing out
> ideas far before I try integrating them into Squid or providing some
> more concrete ideas on where things should head.

I did not realize you plan to "re-integrate back into Squid2 codebase"
as opposed to the latest Squid code. Glad this is clarified!
Approximately when do you think this re-integration into Squid2 will
happen?

Thank you,

Alex.