Re: pseudo-specs for a String class

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:33:14 -0600

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 23:58 +1200, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> If you are implementing the BetterStringBuffer (next generation)
> objects, I'd go with RefString or similar. Since its ref-counted.

It is better not to expose implementation detail in a class name.
Besides, if the new class has no string manipulation functions and just
manages opaque blobs of data, then it should not have a "string" in its
name.

> If you want to be pedantic about the printable char issue, DataBuffer
> makes more descriptive sense.

Printable chars are irrelevant (Adrian went too far on that minor
detail). It is about the meaning of the contents and associated
search/interpretation operations, not print-ability.

Alex.