Re: [MERGE] Further cleanup of urlAbsolute and friends.

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 23:12:47 -0600

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 16:30 +1200, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> >> + char *urlbuf;
> >> + const char *path, *last_slash;
> >> + size_t urllen, pathlen;
> >
> > Declaring variables as needed rather than in advance makes code
> > maintenance easier and might help the compiler to optimize. Not a big
> > deal though.
>
> But it does needlessly break the oldest-possible-compiler policy.

PoV #1: Compilers that are so old that they cannot support as-needed
variables are too old to work correctly for an increasing number of
other reasons and, hence, are most likely irrelevant.

Pov #2: I doubt the questionable no-as-needed-vars policy has ever
existed, but even if it has, it has been broken so many times since,
that it can be considered obsolete. I mean, do you really expect anybody
to go through the code and make it worse in many places just to support
some outdated compiler that is going to break on something else anyway?

Cheers,

Alex.