Cleanup patches to follow

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 23:42:25 -0600

Hello,

    I am going to post a few [MERGE] requests after this email. In
aggregate, they fix all critical and reported Comm and AsyncCall
segfault- and assertion-causing problems that I am aware of. The cleaned
up code works in my lab tests and on one live IRCache node. I think it
should be committed.

The fixes are related and were tested together, but I want to submit
them for review in a few semi-independent chunks for clarity sake. The
fixes should be committed together but with different commit messages
(from email bodies).

If the code is committed, I will go through affected bug reports (that I
know of) and update or close them. I will continue to monitor bug
reports. Other than bugs, I will work on preparing the last eCAP code
portion for merging.

Finally, I am aware of one unreported(?) problem related to the shutdown
sequence. I have added an XXX to main.cc already but will discuss that
problem and a fix separately, tomorrow. The bug may lead to assertions
at the very end of the shutdown sequence, but does not affect the
"runtime" code.

Thank you,

Alex.