Re: wordlist-refactor branch complete

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 13:08:20 -0600

On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 10:24 +0200, Kinkie wrote:

> The wordlist-refactor branch is from my point of view feature-complete.
> It can be found in Launchpad, at
> https://code.launchpad.net/~kinkie/squid/wordlist-refactor.
> I'm not posting a bundle to propose merging into trunk at this time,
> because despite the patch being quite self-contained, some core
> developers have expressed concerns about it potentially introducing
> subtle bugs, and suggested it to be merged after branching 3.1.
>
> Here's the branch summary:
> Purpose of this branch is to migrate wordlist from a C-style interface
> with some c++ coating into a proper c++ object. It does not aim to
> increase the performance of the implementation, but to have cleaner
> semantics for the callers.
> This branch is an interim step on the way to a proper
> template-library-based class. Collateral advantages include unit
> tests, doxygen documentation and naming convention compliance.
>

> I appreciate anyone taking a peek at it and posting any comments.

*B1* Should we just use std::list or another standard container instead?
It seems like a standard container provides everything the new WorldList
wants to provide. Is this a performance optimization?

*B1* The class declaration needs a brief description of the class: What
is a Word? What kind of List (singly or doubly linked, for example)?
Does the List own Words?

*B1* WorldList is not an algorithm so it should not be in
src/algorithms/

There are more lower-level problems, but I think we should resolve the
first two before proceeding further.

Thank you,

Alex.