Re: [MERGE] Connection pinning patch

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 17:03:53 -0600

On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 00:07 +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Its a 900-odd line patch; granted, a lot of it is boiler plate for
> config parsing and management, but I recall the issues connection
> pinning had when it was introduced and I'd hate to try and be the one
> debugging whatever crazy stuff pops up in 3.1 combined with the
> changes to the workflow connection pinning introduces.

It would help if there was a document describing what connection pinning
is and what are the known pitfalls. Do we have such a document? Is RFC
4559 enough?

If not, Christos, can you write one and have Adrian and others
contribute pitfalls? It does not have to be long -- just a few
paragraphs describing the basics of the feature. We can add that
description to code documentation too.

> I don't pretend to completely understand the implications for ICAP
> either. Is there any documentation for how connection pinning should
> behave with ICAP and friends?

ICAP and eCAP do not care about HTTP connections or custom headers. Is
connection pinning more than connection management via some custom
headers?

> Is there any particular rush to get this in for this release at such a
> late point in the release cycle?

Sine NTLM authentication forwarding appears to be a required feature for
many and since connection pinning patch is not trivial (but is not huge
either), I would rather see it added now (after the proper review
process, of course). It could be the right icing on 3.1 cake for many
users. I do realize that, like any 900-line patch, it may cause problems
even if it is reviewed and tested.

Thank you,

Alex.