Re: [Server-devel] Squid tuning recommendations for OLPC School Server tuning...

From: Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 16:40:09 +1200

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot_at_yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Overall, what do you want to use Squid for here; caching, access control..?

Caching and plugins such as squidgard (does that qualify as access control?)

> If you want caching, realise that you're not going to see much benefit from
> such a resource-limited box, and indeed it may be more of a bottleneck than
> is worthwhile.

well, we are very constrained RAM wise, but we have a reasonable hard
drive quota *and* a horrible internet connection. Picture 200 kids
behind a dsl line, 50 kids behind a satellite link or 3G modem.

Granted, youtube isn't going to work but well-behaved cacheable
content (in http terms) can work well with a good proxy.

cheers,

martin

--
 martin.langhoff_at_gmail.com
 martin_at_laptop.org -- School Server Architect