Re: [RFC] 3.1 branching

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:21:34 +0200

On tis, 2008-09-23 at 23:30 -0600, Alex Rousskov wrote:

> PRE, to me, means "we think it is stable, what do you think?".
> A development release, to me, means "we are done adding features, please
> help us with testing and polishing". And yes, I know that the
> definitions at http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/ are somewhat
> different. IIRC, I failed to convince others that mine are better :-)

You are off-by-one from what we normally use

DEVEL - We are still adding features, but this release is beleived to be
reasonably stable suitable for evaluating what has been done so far.

PRE - We are done adding features. Please help us hunting down the last
bugs.

RC - No more known bugs to fix. We think it's stable. Please verify.

STABLE - We think it's stable production release.

DEVEL releases is rarely needed as the nightly snapshot releases serves
this purpose well. Came to light during the very extended Squid-3.0
development cycle with lots of major restructuring and destabilization
taking place..

> > The non-major but important bugs can be fixed during DEVEL and PRE
> > cycles. Branching is about features not bugs.
>
> Agreed, except I do not think we should have any known important bugs
> when doing the first PRE (if we do PRE at all).

Yes. It's not much use in releaseing a PRE with known major blockers.