Re: [RFC] 3.1 branching

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 13:50:29 -0600

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 21:34 +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Which is the time where 3.1.2 is labelled a RC. Tarball rolled, but not
> yet on the FTP server or announced on squid-announce, and labelled as an
> release candidate on the web server.
>
> Before that there is also the nightly snapshots which works well for
> testing of the upcoming release, so the number of times a RC fails
> should be nearly zero. But it's still a timeframe which is needed to
> ensure we do not label obviously broken releases as "stable".

IMO, we do not have enough resources to label releases as stable. We can
only label whole branches.

That is, I do not think we should do RCs for X.Y.2 and beyond. Once the
branch is declared stable, we do our best to keep each release that way.
There will be bugs, but we do not have enough resources to RC every
supposed-to-be-stable release after the first one (3.1.1).

There is nothing wrong with the idea of doing RC for every release on a
stable branch. I just do not think we should spend time on that for now.

Cheers,

Alex.