Re: [RFC] 3.1 branching

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 22:53:11 +0200

On tor, 2008-09-25 at 13:32 -0600, Alex Rousskov wrote:

> If we use RC label for selected/last 4-digit releases, then we will not
> have the above problems. If a 4-digit release proves stable, we post
> 3.1.1 (an exact copy of the last successful 4-digit release, except for
> the version number) and mark the branch as stable.
>
> Is there a reason we cannot have "stable candidates" using 4-digit
> versions?

My view on "stable" after loosing the version tag:

"stable" is something a release earns by proving stable. It's someting a
release gets after being released and tested, not by a new release.

Applies equal to later patch releases who also start their lives as
"stable candidates" and then gets promoted to "stable".

Also as major bugs gets discovered now known broken releases may loose
their "stable" stamp.

The "release candidate" process for getting to 3.1.1 is dealt with by
the 3.1.0.X releases. The diff between the last 3.1.0.X and 3.1.1 should
preferably just be the version number, with that 3.1.0.X being a release
candidate for 3.1.