Re: Request for ntlm_auth helper name change in 3.1

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 23:37:34 +1300

Guido Serassio wrote:
> Hi Henrik,
>
> At 23.42 05/10/2008, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>> On sön, 2008-10-05 at 14:29 +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>>
>> > The users who have needed to use it recently pretty much overrule
>> > complete removal in 3.1.
>> >
>> > Does squid_smb_lm_auth cover everyones understanding of it?
>>
>> Like to keep the ntlm part if possible as it's a good indication of what
>> auth_param class the helper may be used from, even if the helper as such
>> only support lanman level subset of NTLMSSP.
>
> Correct, but things are very confused here. Currently we have four ntlm
> helpers:
>
> fakeauth_auth
> mswin_ntlm_auth
> no_check.pl
> ntlm_auth
>
> So, now any kind of naming convention is missing ..... :-(
>
> What about something like this ?
>
> fake_ntlm_auth
> mswin_ntlm_auth
> no_check_ntlm_auth.pl
> lm_ntlm_auth

If we want to get into renaming all of them I find this naming scheme
easier:

BNF ::= [ 'basic' | 'negotiate' | 'ntlm' | 'digest' ] '_' name '_auth'

Which would make that list:

  ntlm_fake_auth
  ntlm_mswin_auth
  ntlm_nocheck_auth.pl
  ntlm_smb_lm_auth

Easier yes?

And we might as well make over all the auth helpers while at it. As a
project for 3.2+.

For now, if people agree to the above, I can make _just_ the current
'ntlm_auth' helper name match that scheme.
Or, given the current +3/-1 votes change it to smb_lm_auth if no
agreement on a naming scheme alteration.