Re: Where to put ACL* sources

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:21:39 +1300 (NZDT)

> On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 13:15 +0000, wiki_at_wiki.squid-cache.org wrote:
>
>> The following page has been changed by Amos Jeffries:
>> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/SourceLayout?action=diff&rev1=29&rev2=30
>>
>> The comment on the change is:
>> ACLs are another big group to split

>> * {2} AmosJeffries doing now.
>>
>> || || '''Group''' || '''Definition''' || '''Files''' ||
>> + || || ''acl/'' | Access Controls || ACL* external_acl.* ||
>> || {2} || ''auth/'' || Authentication support || auth/* ||
>> || || ''comm/'' || I/O subsystem || Comm*, comm* ||
>> support? || Store* store* ||
>
> Should we dump all ACL* and excternal_acl.* sources to acl/? Or should
> some of the protocol or feature-specific ACL sources live where those
> sources live? For example, should ICAP-related ACLs live in acl/ or
> adaptation/icap/?
>
> Another question is whether the common ACL directory should be named acl
> or acls. The latter seems more appropriate if we are going to dump many
> ACLs there and not just the base type.

Gut reaction is to say everything in acl/.

BUT, the way ACLs work makes me think maybe the ACL core stuff should be
in acl/ with the ACLs which are feature specific in the feature component
directory. Any ACL which don't have a clean home could go in acl/basic/

For comparison, we are putting the *Config classes for each feature into
their directory even though those classes hook into the config parser
feature.

As a related item, I've given thought to an ip/ directory for IPAddress,
IPInterception and the other IP-level bits. This might then also borg arp,
src, dst, myip, myport ACLs and make the extra folder worth doing.

Amos