Your questions on IRC

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 20:49:28 +0200

(15.47.03) mnot: hno: my only remaining concern is the deep ctx's -
unfortunately I'm having a real problem reproducing them (although
they're unfortunately common)

would help a bit if you could make it coredump with a binary having
debug symbols...

I suspect it's related to the LRU problem in the sense that they are
both triggered by the same family of inter-object dependencies.
(collapsed forwarding, async refresh etc)

The higher the load the deeper such dependency chains will become until
things time out or resolves in some other manner.

collapsed_forwarding is most likely the bigger culpit in creating these
long chains.

(15.49.47) mnot: the other issue I see is TCP_MEM_HITs taking a few
hundred milliseconds, even on a lightly loaded box, with responses
smaller than the write buffer. (and no, hno, they're not collpased ;)

If there is Vary+ETag involved then those MAY be partial cache misses.
There is a slight grey zone there an If-None-Match query for finding
which object to respond with results in TCP_(MEM_)HIT if the 304
indicated object is a hit.

Could also be delays due to acl lookups or url rewriters.

(15.54.48) mnot: hno: is running a proxy and accelerator on different
ports in the same squid process no longer supported? I forget where that
ended up
(15.54.58) mnot: yeah, that's definitely a limitation

It is. The reason is that we can't tell for sure if the request is
accelerated or proxied when following RFC2616. We can guess based on if
we receive and URL-path or and absultute URL, but HTTP/1.1 requires
servers to accept requests with an absolute URL.

Now in most setups this is no problem, but many is used to be able to
use the same port for both proxy and WPAD pac servicing...