Re: Your questions on IRC

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 08:25:48 +0200

On tor, 2008-10-23 at 15:45 +1100, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> I've been thinking a while that it would be useful to make the
> collapsed_forwarding timeout configurable; right now it's hard-coded
> at 30 seconds. Would reducing this time help manage the depth (and
> perhaps load implications)?

Better to stop the generation of these dependent chains.

But yes, would be possible to add a config parameter for the timeout,
but thats for the timeout and not fixing this problem.

> Right, but I want to use *separate* ports; i.e., one accel port, and
> one proxy port. E.g.,

Sorry. Misread your question.

That works fine. Just to set up separate http(s)_port directives for
each purpose and configure forwarding selection proper. See below.

> http_port 80 vhost
> cache_peer origin.example.com parent 80 0 originserver no-query no-
> digest
>
> http_port 127.0.0.1:3128 name=local_proxy http11
> acl local_proxy myportname local_proxy
> always_direct allow local_proxy
> http_access allow local_proxy localhost
> http_access deny local_proxy
> log_access deny local_proxy
>
> Right now when I do this, the proxy port still goes to the cache_peer
> that's configured for the accelerator port...

That's because you have not told Squid which domains is found there...

You also need to never_direct those domains as the "always use a peer on
accelerated requests" automatic hint does not work on proxied requests.