Re: Squid 3.1.0.5 uses memory without bounds

From: Steinar H. Gunderson <sgunderson_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 10:21:22 +0100

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 01:34:23AM +0100, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> To get an even better trace the best is to build Squid with valgrind
> support (--with-valgrind-debug), let it run for a while under valgrind
> and then view the memory statistics page.
>
> squidclient mgr:mem

Thanks, that's a neat trick. It turned out the Valgrind reports were pretty
bogus, though; I sent Amos a graph obtained with pprof which was a lot more
reasonable. (Turns out Valgrind isn't so good in tracking down blocks that
are still reachable, for some reason.) Basically it's something in the
delayed read system that's causing problems; you can have a look at

  http://home.samfundet.no/~sesse/pprof9897.0.ps

It's easiest read with gv. Let me know if there's anything in the profile
that's confusing :-)

/* Steinar */

--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/