Re: [MERGE] SourceLayout: src/base, take 0

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 08:03:25 -0700

On 02/19/2009 04:16 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> Alex Rousskov wrote:
>> === modified file 'Makefile.am'
>>
>> Removed src/ip from the top-level SUBDIRS list. That directory is not
>> a top-level subdirectory and it is already listed in src/Makefile.am.
>>
>> The commit message introducing the change talked about libip being a
>> "POD
>> library". I do not know what that is,
> A library which provides Plain-old-data symbols. Not requiring any
> external symbols from within Squid.
I believe src/ip sources include Squid headers, and I would expect more
Squid headers included when we have StringNg. However, even if a library
does not require external symbols (whatever that means), we should
control the library build order from within its parent directory, not
grandparent.
>> but, hopefully, we do not really need to
>> make this kind of exceptions for any src/ libraries.
> I could not get cf_gen to actually run without having it built first.
> I'd like to know how you managed it if you have. Reading your patch
> has still left me clueless.
I just removed unneeded dependencies and added a libcompat dependency
(for assert). When compat is moved to src/, we will use stock assert()
or, more likely, move parsing stuff into src/config/ of some sort so
that it can be built after libcompat and before other subdirs. The
latter move is probably a good idea for other reasons as well.
> I could not get cf_gen to build with just: cf_gen_SOURCES = cf_gen.cc
> Will have to test this patch
You should test, of course. Please let me know if anything needs fixing.

Thank you,

Alex.