Re: Feature: quota control

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot_at_yahoo-inc.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:00:46 +1100

Honestly, if I wanted to do byte-based quotas today, I'd have an
external ACL helper talking to an external logging helper; that way,
you can just log the response sizes to a daemon and then another
daemon would use that information to make a decision at access time.
The only even mildly hard part about this is sharing state between the
daemons, but if you don't need the decisions to be real-time, it's not
that bad (especially considering that in any serious deployment,
you'll have state issues between multiple boxes anyway).

Squid modifications that would help this (and similar use cases):
1) Allow multiple, different external loggers to be defined and used.
2) Harmonise the interfaces/configuration of *all* external helpers,
so that you can pass arbitrary args to each, using the same syntax.
I'm looking at you, redirectors.
3) Reduce the overhead of using external helpers, if possible.

A *lot* of the customisation that I do for Squid is based on uses of
helpers like this; they're actually very powerful and flexible, if you
know what you're doing with them. I would very much like to see Squid
turn them into more of a strength...

--
Mark Nottingham       mnot_at_yahoo-inc.com