Re: [MERGE] build-test: fixed err detection and added multi-test support

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 12:33:44 -0600

On 03/10/2009 09:50 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> I applied your merge and ran a bunch of tests for the the things which
> stood out most in my memory as problems I expected from it.
>
> Several of the tests I remember the testbed being unable to catch work
> under your match. There are two that stand out though:
>
> 1) adding "choke me" as syntax error in config.h
>
> The changes you make do not pass the exit value from buildtest.sh to
> test-builds.sh. Everything I have read on portable shell result
> passing is contrary to this working.
> Yet it does. Any ideas why?
I am not a shell expert and am not really sure what you mean here. If
the calling program (test-builds.sh) cannot use the $? variable to get
the result of the previous call, then we can rewrite those lines using
an if-statement. The primary reason I did not use an if-statement is
because the current code contains two nearly identical calling
statements. I do not know whether those are warranted, but hopefully
they can be merged into one.

If the callee (buildtest.sh) needs an explicit exit call of some sort to
be more portable, let's add that.

> (yes explicitly passing the result value back will 'fix' your patch if
> it turns out to be an issue on some system.)
Yes, I am sure there is a way.

My understanding is that your #1 test case works fine, but you think the
code can be improved. Please let me know if you need help with that.

> 2) adding ChokeMe to the translated languages list.
>
> Results in the "Internal error" case with exit 0.
>
> This occurs because the (optional and manually maintained) errors grep
> locates po2html displaying fatal warnings in the log. Make itself is
> happy, the po2html tool is broken regarding our needed exit values.
>
> Something to think about is how many of the app tools do we use in
> Makefiles and makefile helper scripts, don't return exit 0/1 the way
> we need?
If there are bugs in Makefiles or in the scripts they are calling, those
bugs should be fixed. Clearly, it is wrong that make process does not
notice a po2html error. This problem is unrelated to the test-builds
script and may cause bad side-effects even if we never run that script.

Meanwhile, the test-builds script can rely on the _secondary_ error
detection via error grepping. That secondary check was in my patch, but
perhaps the error pattern needs another update. Again, this should be
treated as a workaround for bugs that exist elsewhere and not a
test-builds script design flaw.

My understanding is that your #2 test case does not work because po2html
or Makefile is broken. We should fix the bug but can work around it if
we update the error pattern in test-builds.sh. Please let me know if you
need help with that.

Thank you,

Alex.