Re: /bzr/squid3/trunk/ r9573: SourceLayout: acl/, take 1

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 21:22:22 -0600

On 03/16/2009 08:21 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 20:01 -0600, Alex Rousskov wrote:

>> I have moved registration code from src/acl/* sources into a
>> src/AclRegs.cc file, making the latter the source file for Squid
>> executable. With this change, Squid knows about specific ACL types
>> (because they are needed by the registration code) and the
>> corresponding
>> ACL classes get linked.
>
> I'd really like it if we can add/remove ACL types by just dropping a
> single file in the source, rather than N different places.

Me too, but I do not see a good solution that would allow us to do that
right now.

I have code that does "single drop-in" elsewhere, but it is using
installable shared libraries, something that Squid does not have. This
seems to be a libtool or libtool knowledge limitation so hopefully
somebody will find a workaround or libtool will get better.

There is also non-recursive Makefile option that should probably be
investigated eventually. The current SourceLayout work will make that
investigation easier. I wonder how non-recursive Makefiles deal with
command-line length limits, when the project has hundreds of sources?
        http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/books/rmch/

Meanwhile, adding a couple of lines to a second file is not a big deal,
IMO. If nothing else, it is better than directly including 40 source
files in 20 executable definitions :-).

Cheers,

Alex.