Re: Introducing myself

From: Marcello Romani <mromani_at_ottotecnica.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 11:39:42 +0200

Amos Jeffries ha scritto:
> Marcello Romani wrote:
>> Hallo,
>> I have been using squid for about 3 years now for normal web
>> caching and url filtering in our company.
>> I have written a small perl script to be used as a logfile daemon,
>> which stores the access log entries in a mysql database.
>> I'm currently using it in our company and I've also received requests
>> from a few people that were looking for a mysql access log solution
>> for squid.
>>
>> So far the script is working well, but mine is a low traffic scenario
>> (15 clients), so I'd like to see it tested in more demanding
>> environments to find out bugs or performance bottlenecks.
>>
>> Also, some of the views contained in the DDL script accompaining the
>> daemon were written as an excercise, while some other provided useful
>> information for my own requirements. The list of views could be
>> expanded or modified based on other people's requests.
>>
>> The last line on my TODO list is how to deal with database growth.
>> Currently there is no consolidation routine, so the database has to be
>> cleaned by hand.
>>
>> I have some experience in mysql and postgresql, so I'm planning to
>> write a version of the script for postgresql also.
>>

> Welcome.
>
> I'm working on the port of LogDaemon into 3.2. I look forward to working
> with you and it as the first LD helper. MySQL is precisely one of the
> tools I'm looking at testing the port with.
>
> Back at the beginning of LogDaemon in 2.7 there was a MySQL helper as
> well. I have not heard much since. Presumably is happily working in
> places, If that was not you we'd best check up and see about merging the
> script concepts rather than adding new one.

I'll have to look closely but I belive what you are mentioning is not my
script.

> If you are intending and able to stick around and support the script I
> believe mysql logging is one of the helpers we could find great use for
> bundling.

I have developed the perl script in my spare time, so I might not be as
timely as I should, but I'm willing to support and expand it.
I'm not a C or C++ expert, but if you feel that it's better to have a LD
helper written in C or C++ rather than perl, I might also look into that.

--
Marcello Romani