Re: [RFC] MERGE: chunked-encoding patch for 3.0

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 20:32:07 +1200

Alex Rousskov wrote:
> On 05/03/2009 12:47 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> The Gentoo project have back-ported the chunked-encoding changes from
>> 3.1 to 3.0.
>>
>> Votes please on whether it should be merged into 3.0 officially or left
>> as a patch?
>>
>> I've held off so far due to 3.0 being under freeze and 3.1 already
>> available for those who need it. Also the amount of work needed to do
>> this counted against.
>>
>> Alin brings up a good point though about other peoples views of
>> stability being stricter despite their need of this being no less.
>>
>> With the work now being done I'm minded to apply if others agree.
>>
>> Ref:
>> http://dev.gentoo.org/~mrness/distfiles/squid-3.0.14-chunk-encoding.patch.gz
>>
>> I've held off since 30 is stable
>
> Handling chunked messages is, essentially, a bug fix, although the bug
> is not in Squid. Production caches do see problems with broken HTTP
> clients and servers insisting on chunks. Since v3.1 will not become
> officially stable next week, we should probably apply this fix to
> relieve the pressure.
>
> If we do apply this, should we apply chunked _request_ support hack as
> well? That change is available as two 3.0 patches and has received some
> production testing (v3.1 and trunk port are almost done):
>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~rousskov/squid/3p0-plus/revision/8899.1.27
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~rousskov/squid/3p0-plus/revision/8937
>
> Thank you,
>
> Alex.

Also found relevant:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~rousskov/squid/3p0-plus/revision/8899.1.26

Now in 3.0 main branch.

One followup portage patch added to detach ICAP and update notes since
reply handling is present here too now.

Build tests underway.

Please anyone who is able, also check for issues yourselves.

Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.7