Re: [squid-users] Error making squid-3.1.0.7-20090412 on Mac OS X 10.4

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 11:57:46 +1200 (NZST)

> I see in the changelog that ClientInfo.h issue has been fixed. So I gave
> squid-3.HEAD-20090510 a whirl. It erred out:

<skip>
> /usr/libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.2.1/ld: multiple definitions of
> symbol ACLStrategised<int>::Pool
<skip>

> These appear to be due to "duplicate template instantiation", and a
> combination of strict enforcement by Apple and GCC 4.x. After trying a
> variety of techniques such as extern, inline, or pragma
> interface/implemenation in the header files, I finally found the following
> workaround that got it built successfully:
>
> 1. In src/acl/MyPort.cc, comment out:
> template class ACLStrategised<int>;
>
> 2. In src/asn.cc, comment out:
> template cbdata_type CbDataList<int>::CBDATA_CbDataList;

Aye, we have a perpetual problem with these templates on Apple.
The fix is a quick one, merging the two instantiations into one shared.
I'll get that done shortly.
Looks like that was the last of your build issues?

> Now I'm able to browse IPv6 sites without cache-peering with Polipo 6to4
> relay. However, Squid 3 Head standalone seems to have problem with a
> particular site, as seen in cache.log: ipcacheParse: No Address records in
> response to 'ipv6.google.com'.

Ah, this is a problem between Squid and the recursive resolver its using.

Squid currently depends on the resolver to do recursion properly. When the
resolver is too strictly limited it returns no results for a CNAME that
crosses between domains ie:
  ipv6.goole.com -> blah.google.net -> IP is changing TLD before it gets
the IP.

It is a bit weird to see that on google. I would expect that particular
one to work since its only ipv6.google.com->ipv6.l.google.com -> IP which
does not change TLD or base 'google.com' domain.

Amos