Re: Is it really necessary for fatal() to dump core?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_squid-cache.org>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 21:34:16 +0800

2009/5/19 Mark Nottingham <mnot_at_yahoo-inc.com>:
> I'm going to push back on that; the administrator doesn't really have any
> need to get a core when, for example, append_domain doesn't start with .'.
>
> Squid.conf is bloated as it is; if there are cases where a core could be
> conceivably useful, they should be converted to fatal_dump. From what I've
> seen they'll be a small minority at best...

Well, I'd be interested in seeing some better defined characteristics
of "stuff" with some sort of defined expectations and behaviour. Like
an API. :)

Right now, fatal, assert, etc are all used interchangably for quite a
wide variety of reasons and the codebase may be much better off if
someone starts off by fixing these a bit.

Adrian