Re: source code reorg & makefiles

From: Robert Collins <robertc_at_squid-cache.org>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 09:45:25 +1000

On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 16:31 -0600, Alex Rousskov wrote:

> Here is the good news: Regardless of the non/recursive decision, most
> of
> the SourceLayout changes are valid and useful. They properly organize
> the sources files. If we decide that non-recursive make is the goal,
> it
> would be much easier to convert to that style now (or later).

Great.

> Do all modern environments have good support for large non-recursive
> projects? Can somebody provide an example of a large project using
> non-recursive Makefiles? Or is that just a nice idea that never really
> took flight and is not being optimized/designed for?

Without going out and doing an audit of other projects, I can't state
specifics about where nonrecursive make is/isn't used.

The autotools toolchain, which we are using, has tolerably good support
for non-recursive make, and it is improving over time.

I suspect that most large projects don't use non-recursive make, simply
because they have generally been created some time ago before toolchain
support existed at all.

I do know that CMake, SCons, WAFfle, bake, cook, and other such
toolchains all use a global-dependency-graph approach (which is the same
as non-recursive make).

-Rob