Re: New features in Squid CIFS caching

From: Jorge Novo <jnovonj_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 19:01:46 +0200

Hi everybody,

> That sounds more like WAN optimisation than proxying.

Yes of course, but Squid also optimize the WAN. Squid is a Proxy&Cache

Squid is proxy and cache for http, ftp, gopher and wais (whois also ;-) )

>>> I have a little question: is it possible to use Squid for caching
>>> another kind of traffic?

>>> I doubt it.

Me too.... :-0

>>> CIFS is 11 years expired. Very complicated, and not relevant to HTTP. It's a file
>>> system which Windows and Samba wrap nicely into other forms which Squid

>> When I said CIFS, I mean Windows Network File System (Samba indeed )

>> BlueCoat caches Windows resources in a VPN or private WAN environment

>> It's really a usefull caches this kind or traffic

 I think that I am looking for, something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CacheFS

 But for the entire network not only for one server.

 For the Squid point of view, it is a transparent caching of the
Windows Files System
trying to optimize the WAN and speed up the accesses.

Thanks for you effort for understanding my English

Salu2.