Re: Hello from Mozilla

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot_at_yahoo-inc.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 16:24:13 +1000

Upgrade is hop-by-hop, so it's pretty limiting.

Ian, an example:

An intermediary (transparent, intercepting or whatever) can and often
does add arbitrary headers; e.g., x-forwarded-for. This is completely
legal in HTTP, where headers that are not understood are ignored, and
additionally several headers have provisions to change values in
headers as well (e.g., transfer-encoding, te, via, connection).

They're also allowed to change the formatting of the message; e.g., re-
wrap headers, normalise whitespace.

Specifying a bit-for bit handshake is incredibly fragile.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham       mnot_at_yahoo-inc.com